Friday, July 3, 2009

Genital Herpes in Pregnancy

by Richard Fischer, MD,
Co-Division Head, Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Professor, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Section of Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Cooper University Hospital

Updated: Apr 11, 2006

Introduction
Infection with genital herpes simplex virus (HSV) is a major gynecological health problem.

•As of this writing, in the United States, approximately 45 million individuals aged 12 years or older (1 in 5) have been infected with genital herpes. Each year, 1.5 million new cases are diagnosed.
•Five percent of all women of childbearing age report a history of genital herpes, and up to 30% have antibodies to herpes simplex virus 2 (HSV-2).
•Two percent of women acquire genital HSV during pregnancy.
•Approximately 1500-2000 new cases of neonatal HSV infection are diagnosed each year. Neonatal HSV infection may lead to long-term neurologic impairment and death.
Despite strategies designed to prevent perinatal transmission, the number of cases of neonatal HSV infection continues to rise, mirroring the rising prevalence of genital herpes infection in women of childbearing age.


In 1999, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) published a practice bulletin regarding HSV in pregnancy. Their conclusions were as follows:

Level B recommendations (based on limited or inconsistent scientific evidence)


•Women with primary HSV infection during pregnancy should be treated with antiviral therapy.
•Cesarean delivery should be performed on women with first-episode HSV infection who have active genital lesions at delivery.
•For women at or beyond 36 weeks of gestation with a first episode of HSV infection occurring during the current pregnancy, antiviral therapy should be considered.
Level C recommendations (based on consensus or expert opinion)


•Cesarean delivery should be performed on women with recurrent HSV infection who have active genital lesions or prodromal symptoms at delivery.
•Expectant management of patients with preterm labor or premature rupture of membranes and active HSV infection may be warranted.
•For women at or beyond 36 weeks of gestation who are at risk for recurrent HSV infection, antiviral therapy may be considered, although such therapy may not reduce the likelihood of cesarean delivery.
•In women with no active lesions or prodromal symptoms during labor, cesarean delivery should not be performed on the basis of a history of recurrent disease.
Currently, recurrent HSV infections account for only a small proportion of neonatal HSV infections. However, routine HSV suppression with antiviral agents, especially in pregnant women with a history of frequent recurrences, may suppress clinical recurrences during labor and may reduce the need for cesarean deliveries in these women.

In order to truly reduce the incidence of neonatal HSV infection, physicians and researchers must focus on the prevention and recognition of asymptomatic primary genital HSV infections. In the future, this might require a combination of PCR analysis for faster diagnosis, as well as type-specific serology to identify pregnancies at risk for primary HSV infections.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/274874-overview

2 comments:

  1. A great thanks to doctor abegbe the man that work for you as a father I was having gentian herpes for 6year I never found cure I was embarrassed every time I always have pain every time am very happy for dr.abegbe who God bring as helper to me, when I found his email on internet i was shock if it was true serious the man is real he will ask you to choose for your choice of your propose of the cured he inform me about the herbs cure and the spell casting and the spell casting take 45mins to work which I applied for, once you provide what he need for the spell casting he get the necessary thing available for the cure and he go on with the cure, he inform me that the cure is done at night when will was in the night he go on with the spell casting at time I sleep off because he ask me to sleep on my bed, when I wake-up I found changing in my body I was cured I run to hopsitel for test I found out am negative thanks to doctor abegbe you can reach him on his email now DR.ABEGBESPELLHOME@HOTMAIL.COM OR DR.ABEGBESPELLHOME@GMAIL.COM or call him on +2348167022540

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been suffering from this herpes virus disease for a long time,and I've had some variants of this Herpes virus.This has brought me a lot of trouble, on many levels, especially with my partners, and this has given me a lot of self-consciousness.25 years of suffering outbreaks is a long time, I've had depression and I've felt the rejection of many people, who are suffering from it know what I'm talking about.As you know, pharmacological medicine does not provide any adequate solution to eradicate this disease, it only mitigates the symptoms until the next outbreak.However, about a month ago I discovered some useful information that helped me in a few weeks to make my herpes disappear naturally after taking DR James herbal mix medicine .Today I am grateful to Doctor James herbal mix medicine that has given me back a normal life.Today I can say that:  I am a new person, or rather, I am back to being a person without complexes because of this silent and complex hell that is herpes.If you don't suffer from herpes, well risky you are, but if you suffer it I invite you to contact this genuine powerful herbal healer called Dr james. Herpes is a serious and recurrent condition that cannot be cured by drugs or injections by US doctors, but the best way to fight against herpes is to take natural herbal remedies, I red about DR JAMES, the great herbalist who cures people of herpes  virus with his powerful herbal medicine. I contacted him to find out how he could help me and he told me never to be afraid that he would help me with the natural herbs medicine! After 2 days of contacting him he told me the medicine is ready and he sent it to me via DHL COURIER SERVICE and it got me in 3 days! I used the medication as he prescribed for me (MORNING and EVENING) and was cured! It's really like a dream, but I'm so happy! For people suffering from the following diseases,Diabetes, cancer,Pcos, hypothyroidism, Herpes, COPD, HIV, arthritis, Hpv, infections, liver disease, autoimmune diseases, Parkinson's disease, Lupus and more should contact him for his herbal medicine, because I am a living witness and I was cured of herpes virus. and DR James medicine is legitimate and 100 percent works. I sent him what he asked for and he sent me his medication which I took for 21 days and today I am here with a negative result. When I went for the test, I was so happy after I took his herbal mix medicine.
    CONTACT DR JAMES FOR A PERMANENT CURE 
       Email: drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com 
       WhatsApp  +2348152855846

    ReplyDelete